Monday, July 6, 2009

Just me and my cereal bowl....

I love mornings like this, when I can sit with a yummy bowl of HoneyNut Cheerios and consider all the happenings of the past week that I have yet to share. However, the yumminess of my cereal is making it increasingly difficult to type with both hands.

It has been a pretty great week. The half-way mark of the summer has officially come and gone. I was quite excited to know that I was half-way to my plane ride home, half-way to moving into the new apartment, half-way to seeing my handsome boyfriend, and half-way to be HOME with my amazing fam. As the half-way point has now passed, I still feel excited about all those things, but also sad to know that the days of sharing a room with my new friend are quickly passing, the days of staff lounge laughter and ministry to broken but oh so funny and enjoyable women.

Yesterday I taught Sunday School to the women and it was quite a joy! I had been pondering what to teach if I had Bible study one weeknight. I had a lesson plan, sort of, for something about the attributes of God and then had been studying one of David Platt's messages from the LifeBlood series. Last week, the Sunday School teacher asked me to teach and the lesson from the quarterly was on God the Father. It was so amazing how that fit with the attributes of God lesson that I had already prepared. The lesson was 3 parts (of course, I'm baptist, right?).
1) How can we know God?
2) What is God like?
3) What does God desire from us?
I have been struck lately by the variety of false beliefs about God that permeate our world, our church, and even my own thinking.
For instance, many people seem to believe that God changed between the OT and the NT. One lady commented that God was mean in the OT. He is the SAME God. If God changed, then He must have gotten better or worse. If He got better, then at one point He was not complete and therefore not God. If He got worse then He could be better and would not be God. SO God did not change! (Make sense?) This is just one of the false beliefs that I myself have pondered. Noticed any others?

The lesson included many scripture passages in which we discovered and discussed characteristics of God. One of these verses was Romans 6:25-26
Now to Him who is able to establish you according to my gospel and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery which has been kept secret for long ages past, but now is manifested, and by the Scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the eternal God, has been made known to all the nations, leading to obedience of faith.

Christ is the one who is able to establish us. He can ground us in His word and we will not be moved! On our own we are bound to backslide, but with Him we can stay firmly grounded...just one of the characteristics of God that we learned yesterday.

God reveals Himself to us THROUGHOUT the Word...check it out!

Saturday, the 4th, was quite an exciting day around here. We had spent the week cleaning coolers, packing, slicing tomatoes and tearing lettuce...busy, busy, busy. We woke up Saturday morning to RAIN! ahhh! We had planned to load up all the stuff at 9:30a and get it to the park b/f the streets closed at 11a. We continued with that plan, despite the rain and spent the morning praying that the rain would cease. At 2p (one hour b/f we planned to take the ladies to the picnic) the rain let up and the clouds parted to reveal beautiful blue skies! Nine ladies and approximately 13 children went to the picnic at the park. They had sprinklers and inflatables for the kids. Volleyball and frisbees for the young at heart and food for everyone! After dinner we packed up and moved our things to the street to watch the fireworks...beautiful! Another storm was coming in so we called it a night as soon as the fireworks were done and headed back to the shelter. After unpacking I was EXHAUSTED and happy to take a Sunday afternoon nap!

Here are just a few pics of the 4th festivities.

LaCasey (NAMB Missionary) and I waiting patiently for the fireworks

No comments: