Saturday, June 27, 2009

Surprise!

This week, as I was going on-shift and praying with the morning shift, Emily prayed that God would fill my afternoon with little surprises. I found the request a little peculiar, but was excited to see just how He would answer this prayer. I wanted to share just a few ways that God has answered that prayer this week--with little surprises!

--MAIL! I do love mail and this week Mom sent me a sweet note.
--Unexpected compliments: One of the guests told me this morning that I was beautiful and she could see Jesus in me (It was fairly early in the morning, no shower, etc. so you KNOW that was Jesus and not me!)
--The words of a child: I was doing childcare the other night, something that is not always my favorite. I was sitting on the floor when a little girl came up to give me a hug. Being silly as I am, I began rocking her like a baby and singing "Rock-a-bye baby." I thought that she would just laugh, but she sat up and said "Sing it again." I repeated the song at least four times, becoming a little wary and not knowing all the words. At last she hugged me tighter and said "I love you!" Now, those are words that you don't hear too often around here and they filled my heart. A surprise I love you is the best kind of surprise!
--The boldness to pray: This week Christ has given me the opportunity to do the paperwork for two intakes. This is the paperwork that must be done as soon as the women arrive at the shelter. It is much less involved than the expanded intake which must be done within 24 hours. ANYWAYS! As we are alone in the intake room, asking all these questions and reviewing all these rules, God has led me to pray with and for two women. Through this He has taught me the impact of a simple prayer and reminded me that He will give me the Words.
--Humor: In the midst of difficult situations, it is often hard to laugh, but God has gifted the staff at DaySpring with the ability to find humor in many situations and to laugh heartily in the midst of trial.

There were many other surprises as well, including a raccoon in the dumpster, but I will not bore you with all the stories.

Have a wonderful Sunday and continue to pray for the summer missionaries, the staff, and especailly the guests! Thanks a trillion.

No comments: