Saturday, June 20, 2009

Growing-up is hard to do...

This week I have had to be a grown-up or at least pretend to be one, and at times that task is quite difficult. Yesterday I worked the 3-11 pm shift by myself for the first time. I had been working it all week long (except for Tuesday) but yesterday was the first time that no one else was on the schedule at that time. I must say that I was a bit frightened.

The beginning of the shift was fairly easy. Danielle was with me until 9. We cooked dinner (which went over fairly well), cleaned up after dinner, did some charting, Danielle did an intake interview, answered the phone, etc. Overall nothing too strenuous. Most of the ladies left DaySpring to go to Celebrate Recovery, so it was a pretty slow night at the shelter. They returned after children's bed time, so it turned out to be a fight to get everyone in the bed at a decent time. It is so funny to have 55-year old women come and ask you if they can go to bed later since it is Friday night. They reminded me of myself at home, finding every excuse and reason to stay up just 30 minutes later. In the end, the ladies got to stay up until 11 pm, but even then they were pushing the limit.

That is the most difficult part of this job, I do believe, learning to say no in a loving way, learning not to budge even when women who are older and sometimes much more confident (and cunning) than you are telling you that right is left and left is right.

By the time I got off last night, I was quite exhausted, mentally and feeling a little worn down spiritually as well. This morning as I was rereading 2 Corinthians 4, I stopped at the first verse: "Therefore, since we have this ministry as we received mercy, we do not lose heart." The portion that stopped me was the "we do not lose heart." I can't allow one semi-difficult night on the job to get me down. Luke 18:1 tells us to "pray and not lose heart." The Bible tells us that the Christian life will be difficult, but in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary (Gal 6:9).

These were great words of encouragement to me! Through His word and prayer, God is prepping me for another 3-11 shift this afternoon (although I will not be alone this time!).

I am so grateful for the privilege of being challenged beyond myself, so that I MUST turn to Christ..."for when I am weak, then I am strong" (2 Cor 12:10).

In all my growing up this week, I did have a chance to act like a kid again on Wednesday, and it was SO much fun! A family from a local church offered to take us to BigSplash (local water park) for Waves of Worship. It was a really cool deal. The park was open from 7-10 pm for only $5 dollars admission. Christian music was playing the entire time and there were more modestly clad people that I have seen at the water park in a while! The Millers have 6 children, five of which came along for the water park trip. The first slide we decided to brave is one that I will respectfully call--"The Wedgie Maker." Because that is just what it did (hehe). Luckily, we all prepared by wearing shorts! There were other fun slides as well, a rock-climbing wall on which 6-year old climbed higher than me, a wave pool, and diving platform. BigSplash turned out to be a Big Splash indeed!

Pre-water slidePost-water slide

Thank you all so very much for your prayers this week. Continue to pray for the women at DaySpring Villa and for the other summer missionaries and I. We saw two women leave this week to live with friends, pray that they made and will continue to make wise choices. We also have three new women, one of which has four children with her and three other children who are older and not here. I believe that she has been overwhelmed by the kindness shown to her and the safety provided here at DaySpring. Pray that the kindness will point her only to Christ and His glory.

Please pray for opportunities to speak of the glory of God and to share what God is doing in my life with the women here.

Muchas gracias!

No comments: