Tuesday, July 28, 2009

But instead...

Today, we were supposed to explore Oklahoma City with Cindy
BUT INSTEAD
We attend a memorial service to celebrate her life

We want to cry
BUT INSTEAD
We rejoice!

We wish to understand
BUT INSTEAD
We walk by faith!

As many of you know, Cindy Meredith--assistant director at DaySpring Villa, summer missionary supervisor, volunteer coordinator, dear friend, energetic evangelist, and mother to two--passed on Wednesday morning. It was a great loss to not only DaySpring Villa, but to each guest, staff member, and volunteer.

I apologize that I did not write sooner but it just seems that words are insufficient to explain the rollercoaster of emotions that come with death. There is the sting of the loss and the heartache for the family, there is the laughter over memories, and the guilt over laughing. It seems that each emotion feels strange and you wonder, as one of the ladies asked me last night, "is this normal?" What is a normal response to death, I am afraid that there is not one.

We are still uncertain what caused Cindy's passing, but as the pastor put it yesterday, there is one thing that we are certain of...Cindy never truely died!
We are certain of this because this is the promise that Jesus Himself gave us:

"I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?"
John 11:25-26

The memorial service for Cindy was yesterday and it seems that some of the weight has been lifted from the hearts of the staff as we continue the weekly routine with a little more pep in our step, free, after a time of grievance, to remember Cindy with a smile on our face, even if there is a bruise still on our hearts.

During this time, as He has all summer long, God has graced us with laughter. We went to see Oklahoma on Wednesday evening, following the insistance of the motherly Ms. Wilma. I laughed until my cheeks were sore and then laughed some more!

Thank you for your continued prayers and support. I look forward to a bitter sweet good-bye on Saturday and a super-sweet hello when I see my family and friends again!

No comments: