Wednesday, May 23, 2007

What draws you to Christ?

They've told me, "It's Cooler in Pooler" and so far, it's true. The people here are full of smiles and incredibly giving. I just arrived at the home of my host family a few hours ago. We had service at the church tonight, where I got to meet all of the youth (or all of the ones who were there). They were all really nice and energetic, reminding me alot of the youth at home. Most of the youth are high school age, from 9th to 11th grade. There are many more girls that guys. Tonight there were probably about 20 kids there.

The past few days I have been at orientation in Toccoa, GA, where the Georgia Baptist Association is located. We had lots of different training sessions, but one of them was evangelism training and the session was led by Janet, a woman from the GA WMU. It was completely different than what I expected. She explained the importance of love in the evangelism process. She didn't talk as much about what we say, focusing on what we do. I have been struggling lately with the thoughts of advertising Jesus as though he is only a "Get out of hell free card" and we are the community chess. It seems that this is what we do when we walk up to people and begin sharing an evange-cube or something else without actually getting to know the person first. Janet encouraged us to share our heart with the people.

What draws you to Christ? This is the question that Janet posed to each of us. and a question that each of you reading should pose to yourself. My answer is love, a love that wraps itself around me. A love from a friend who sees everything that I am and yet loves me the same. In his presence i can be me, sybisue. I don't have to worry about who i am because he knows and he made me!!!!

This is what I should share with those around me. These other tools can still be used to share the plan of salvation, of course. But what draws people to Christ is a person whose heart is real. My heart will not show in a memorized "plan of salvation" but my heart will be clear when I speak of what drew me to my fabulous Saviour! This new view of "evangelism" was energizing. i can't wait to share with others what drew me and continues to draw me to Christ.

Thank each of you for your prayers! Please pray for the youth at Rothwell, especially the middle schoolers and the new kids who are moving up from the 6th grade.

No comments: