Saturday, July 7, 2007

If the Son sets you free, you shall be free indeed.
John 8:36

Do you ever think about being free? It is not something that I ponder very often—freedom to write this blog and use the word God (something that is not allowed in China), freedom from the shame of sin, freedom from the bondage of rules and regulations, FREEDOM! I do not really think about it very much, but this week caused me to ponder many of the freedoms and blessings that I have because of my citizenship in America and in the kingdom that is not of this world.

On Tuesday, the youth delivered water to migrant workers and to people on the beach. The migrant workers smiled as they grabbed the water out of the cooler and enthusiastically drank each bottle dry. The people at the beach gave a completely different response; we had to convince them to take the water. When they did they only took a few sips of it before setting it aside to warm in the scorching sun. Why are Americans so ungrateful? I hate to stereotype all Americans, but “if the shoe fits”? Our way of life has made us so calloused that we never take the time to appreciate the little things in life, things that people like migrant workers see as life’s greatest treasures.

On Wednesday, the Fourth of July, Jody’s parents invited me to spend the holiday with them. Before dinner and after the blessing, Jody’s mom suggested that we say the pledge. Who has ever heard of saying the pledge at a family gathering, right? Well, I had not either, but it was such a pleasant reminder that the pledge is not just for elementary school, but it is a way to show our thanks for the great things this country provides for us. It is also a reminder that our forefathers intended this to be “one nation under God”. God with a capital G, not the god Buddha or the god of rain or the god of apple pie, but the One and Only, the Alpha and Omega who wrote the first chapter of American history and may be left out of the last.

Wednesday night was for fireworks, of course. We had the awesome privilege of watching the Savannah firework show from the nearby wildlife refuge. We were the only people in the whole, 3-mile refuge, which houses deer, alligators, wild boar, turkey, and lots of birds. Because we were a little scared of the alligators, we climbed on top of the church van (don’t tell anyone ) and sat. As the fireworks went off, I looked around me a saw something even more spectacular—a golden sunset behind a forest of trees. As the night progressed I looked up to see the greatest firework show ever, I sky full of stars. How many people drive downtown through traffic and sit in a big crowd to watch fire in the sky? Yet, we never take the time to marvel at the sunset or lie beneath the stars—and just say “WOW!” and “Thank you!”



Climbing on the top of the van.

Waiting on fireworks.

The Bible study that I am doing is teaching me a lot about freedom from sin and shame. I never realized how much shame runs my life and the life of so many others. It tells us that we should pay for our sins by feeling sorry about them for a certain length of time. It tells us that we are bound to make the same mistake again; that it is part of who we are. It tells us that we can never really change. But what does God say? He says that He has forgiven us for our sins, that we are not bound to sin, and that we were created to be holy, therefore sin does not hold us in. I have said so many times that “so-and-so will never change—old habits die hard”. It is true that so-and-so will never change themselves, but God can change people, and He can change me too. That is why He has given us His word—to reveal to us what areas of our lives need to change and give us the power to do so. This has been one of the greatest lessons of the week:
God’s word is intended to change us, not to educate us.
I often use God’s word as a source of knowledge, thinking that the more I know about it, the closer I will be to God. This week I read Hebrew 4:12:
For the word of God is living and effective and sharper than any two-edged sword, penetrating as far as to divide soul, spirit, joints, and marrow; it is a judge of the thoughts and ideas of the heart.
I asked myself, “When is the last time that God’s word convicted me of the folly of my ideas or convicted me for sinful thoughts?” I had read my Bible that morning, and it had certainly not happened then. Had God’s word lost it’s power? Well, of course not! The sword of God’s word had not been cutting into my soul because I had been using it to playfully fence with knowledge when I should have been preparing for battle.

As you can see, this week overflowed with ministry opportunities and God-granted insight, and it is not over yet! Tomorrow we are going to Honey Island to paint faces. Sunday brings an opportunity to worship and learn. Pray for me as I lead Sunday School this Sunday as well as a portion of the HisGirl Bible study Sunday night (this week’s topic is purity). Next week the youth will be hosting VBS at the Baptist Center, an inner-city ministry in the heart of Savannah’s low-income housing. We have not had many people volunteer to help, so please pray that God will send workers and effectively use the staffers for His glory.

Thank you so much for your prayers and kindness. The Godly counsel that I have received has helped alleviate my homesickness week after week. Thank you!

No comments: