Sunday, July 22, 2007

Busy bee!

I have not posted in a really long time, but thank you for continuing to pray for me and for the ministry here at Rothwell Baptist Church. It has been a crazy two weeks, filled with lots of fun activities and ministry experiences. Mom and Dad just left yesterday. I guess I should start with last Monday, even though that seems like an eternity ago.

From July 9-12, the youth hosted Vacation Bible School at the Baptist Center downtown (Savannah). The Baptist center is located adjacent to Hitch Village, a large housing project. Most of the 35 kids that attended VBS came from these projects. I volunteered to teach Bible study because this is what I did at the previous VBS. However, the approach that we used at Rothwell did not work as well at the Baptist Center. They did not enjoy the games that we played nor were they entertained by the same things. I found that these kids really liked to talk more than play. They craved the attention that they got from gentle conversation. This was a hard adjustment for me because my teaching style usually consists of me talking and people listening, or me hoping that people are listening (not a teaching style that I would suggest to anyone). Some, however, knew how to make this adjustment well. Like Ms. Payne. She came on the last day to help us, and somehow, she got the kids (even the high schoolers) to color shoes for 25 minutes. After 25 minutes, most of them did not want to leave. How cool! God definitely used her, and all those who worked at the Baptist Center, to show those children the patience and the love of Christ.

Mom and Dad arrived here on Saturday, to my glee! We hung out at the beach house most of the week. On Sunday we went to Paula Dean’s. Corey and Blake came to the boys’ Bible study on Sunday night while I went to HisGirl. Jody said that they “fit in like a glove.”


Monday we hung out the beach and went kayaking with our guide, Mr. Jon. While kayaking, I overheard a conversation between Mr. Jon and Dad about church and whether or not Mr. Jon was a Christian. Mr. Jon shared with Dad that he was; it was so great for me to hear Dad talk to our kayak guide about Jesus. I have been labeled a missionary, but, if you really want to see one, just look at my dad. He reaches so many people each day at his shop and does not stop sharing, even when he is on vacation!



On Wednesday night we had a special “dinner and dialogue” service. I am not sure where Jody got the idea, but it is one of the best services we have had so far (in my opinion). The idea is to engage the youth in conversation about the Word of God over dinner. The older ladies of the church purchased us pizza and dessert; we ate that and talked about finding God’s will for our lives. I had 5 kids at my table and all of them were about my age. They answered the questions honestly, and we were able to converse openly about our lives, where God is working, and the things that we need to change. While we were talking, I really felt like God was approving of this form of worship. It reminded me of the early church and really caused me to rethink my definition of fellowship. This dinner and dialogue exercise is something that I would suggest for any small group (or any large group, just break up into tables of no more than 6). All you need is an agenda, a set of questions or verses to discuss (ours came for Facing Your Giants by Max Lucado) and a table leader to keep everyone on track.

On Thursday, the youth traveled to the beach house where we played baseball and swam until dinner time. Mom made her famous punch, which we had with hotdogs, chips, and dip. After dinner, Brent and Brad led a worship service. I really wanted to have it on the beach, where the majesty of God is so obvious, but the Lord had other plans. He showed us His majesty and the power of fear as lightin’ flashed across the sky and we flashed back to the room, just missing a thunder shower. In Brad’s lesson, he challenged all of us to get out of the boat. We can compare ourselves to the “pew sitters” and say that we are out of the boat, but let’s compare ourselves to Jesus and see that we are no where near the water.

This week is youth VBS! Each day holds an adventure that will be, I’m sure, more than we could plan. Tomorrow we are traveling to the Ichetucknee River (Lake City, Florida). On Tuesday we will tube the length of the river before heading home. Wednesday is a lesson and bowling at the local army base (cheaper there). Thursday is late night games and a video scavenger hunt. Friday holds the finale—Second-hand Sleepover (girl’s only). The girl’s are required to wear something second-hand, either from their mom’s closet or the thrift store. My thrift store outfit is going to blow everyone away, just get ready for some funny pictures.

In two weeks I will be home to share with you all that I have done. I will try to post once or twice more before then. Continue to pray that God will use this week at VBS for His glory, and that it will be much more than just a barrel of fun!

No comments: