Thursday, May 8, 2008

It is very quiet

The sound of the dishwasher and the washing machine are so very peaceful to me. They remind me of those summer days during high school when my to-do list contained three items--wash clothes, read a book, swim--and all of those were optional. The past few days have been much like that. Granted, the to-do list now contains a few more items. Today, for instance, it looked much like this
--Kill the bugs that are invading the kitchen
--Write thank-you notes
--Read a book
--Cook dinner
--Wash clothes
Notice what it did not contain. There were no meetings to attend (except lunch with mom and nana), no classes for which to study, and no homework to complete!! So, now that my short to-do list is complete, I am not really sure what to do with myself. I am now sitting, listening to the hum of the dishwasher and considering dessert at SONIC!
In the quiet of the day, I have had much time to think. My thoughts traveled many different paths, but they kept leading me back to Peru.
In looking at my calendar this morning I saw that today was the day that I was supposed to leave for Nambia, a country in Africa. I just knew that was where I was supposed to go this summer. I made plans to attend, told everyone that I was going-- but God had other plans. I went to sign-up for the trip, only to find that it had been cancelled due to lack of interest. There was my neon sign that this was not the trip for me. So, a little discouraged, I began to check out my other options--or option I should say. There was only one open trip that did not conflict with classes, so after 24 short hours of deliberation and a bit of wise counsel, I signed up for the trip to Lima, Peru. Hindsight (which is always 20-20 they say, but I think that it is even better than that, magnified to perhaps 40-20) shows me that it was I, not God, who wanted me to go to Africa. It was such a glamorous trip--one that made me feel good about myself, like I was somehow going to save all the orphans with one smile. God, in His graciousness, painlessly aligned my will with His.
As I wrote a few thank you notes today, I had a chance to reflect on the way that God has provided for this trip. So many people have given VERY generously to support God's work. Because of their efforts, I will be able to see God's work first hand in Peru. Through their gifts, I was able to see God as the Great Provider.
As I sat down to read today, I began to think even more about the trip and how spiritually unprepared I am to go into a foreign country. However, I received great assurance from His word that He will provide the power that I need.
"You will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you, and you will be my witnesses...to the end of the earth"--Acts 1:8
Pray that God will continue to use the quiet moments and even the not-so quiet ones to prepare me for His missions. Pray that my eyes will be like His, able to see the whole globe as the work of His hands and as the orchestra intended to sound His praises. Pray that He will prepare my feet to walk, my lips to speak, and my hands to touch in a way that reflects His glory.
Well, I am about to head off to bed--or to SONIC I haven't quite decided.
Ta-ta for now.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Sybil, I miss you! Reading your blog definitely encourages me! I will pray for you and your trip! I know God is going to do great things!